Thumnail & Icon specs

Hi,

I?m new to this list, so I apologise if I?m already bringing up a known
issue - I've looked at the archives for a few months back, and can't find
anything...

Whilst reading the specs at www.freedesktop.org, I came across the Thumbnail
and Icon specs. These specify that thumbnails should be stored in
$HOME/.thumbnails and icons in $HOME/.icons. Would it not be better to store these in
$XDG_DATA_HOME/thumbnails and $XDG_DATA_HOME/icons respectively? Littering
$HOME with lots of hidden folders is very annoying, and in this instance seems
quite pointless.

Another culprit is fontconfig - where the default user fonts dir is
$HOME/.fonts. Again, would it not be better if this was changed to use
$XDG_DATA_HOME/fonts?

Craig.