Re: Menu spec: sorting

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:00:15PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> There was a nice thread about menu-sorting and menu-inlining a while ago, see
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2003-January/msg00157.html
> I don't think it resulted in any actual changes to the spec though.
> I think the idea that a sub-menu can be marked as "inline" is a good idea. For
> that we need a single bool entry in the .directory file. Is "showInline" ok
> with everyone? I think the semantics should be "suggestion to inline the
> menu".
> For the actual sorting we agreed that it was good to have it defined as part
> of the XML file. For that I propose a <Order> element that can be a child of
> <Menu>
> [snip]

Looks good to me.  Also I think that files that don't appear in the order
somehow should appear after the order.  That is if you haven't specified a
<Merge> item.  This way you could do simple ordering such as

That is, the <Merge type="all"/> would be implicit (or perhaps
menus/files would be implicit).  I would also specify that it is completely
optional for the implementation to use the order or inline.  It won't make
sense for a more dynamic view of the vfolders.

George <jirka 5z com>
   If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
                       -- Albert Einstein