Re: That 'vision' thing (Tuomas has a logo proposal)

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 11:34, Keith Packard wrote:
> Jim Gettys asked Tuomas Kousmanen <tigert gimp org> to put together a
> suggestion for a logo for our little project and he's come up with
> something that looks quite nice to me.  If others agree, maybe we can
> adopt it for the time being as an official logo.  Of course, my big plan
> is to get some chotski generated from my web store so I can wear it around
> town.
> Here's his comments:
>  "If you want to pass my comments (you know all those fancy designers
>    always have this "vision" thing that they had when doing the logo etc..
>    :) So the blue rounded rectangle represents "freedesktop" and there are
>    several groups of people working together and sharing ideas inside it
>    (the white rectangles inside)."
> I've attached a small .png file; he's provided .svg so we can generate
> images at any scale (of course, cairo was used to generate this .png).

Hmmm, I hate to quibble, since it's an attractive, professional looking
logo, but the immediate thought (at least after reading that comment)

 "Who's the big rectangle?"

The three different sized rectangles don't really convey the idea
of different groups working together on an equal footing. Maybe three
different shapes - square, circle, triangle, say - would convey
that message better?