mime-type database extensions / extension ambiguities

For my software to run properly I had to include the (as far as I know) non-official but widely accepted and used chemical mime-types into the mime database. I have two questions regarding this:

1) What do you think about putting this (or such a) mime-type definition file online at the freedesktop.org site so that others don't have write their own files.

2) Because of this addition I now have extension ambiguities in my definition (i.e. two different mime types use the same extension). I have noticed that the rest of the database is free of such ambiguities. Is this part of the specification?

To handle such ambiguities with my software I had to change the perl module File::MimeInfo to return all possible extensions for a mime-type. Jaap Karssenberg (the developer of this module) wrote me that he might implement this functionality into the official module if it's not against the freedesktop.org rules :-)

Set yourself up for fun at home! Get tips on home entertainment equipment, video game reviews, and more here. http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx