other hal uses

Hi,

When i was browsing freshmeat.net last weekend, i noticed a cool project
by the name of ifplugd which monitors the /proc/net/dev directories and
automatically performs a certain action (ifup) when the user plugs a
network cable into the machine. There's also some support for wireless
cards. See http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/ for more info.

What about putting this kind of functionality into the HAL project?
Can't we have a hal_networkd daemon which monitors there kinds of things
and then reports them to hald etc? On the desktop we could display a
notification icon with a balloon to indicate that the network is up (or
allow the user to select a network profile).

Is HAL suited for this? (the docs only mention hotplug support)

Regards,

Jeroen