Re: Session Management Proposal

George wrote:

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 08:50:33PM -1000, Ray Strode wrote:

no ... the requests to the dm are always scheduled for after the
session exits by itself

Yup, my bad. Actually I think GDM also has a way to say
"Shutdown now" (versus "Shutdown when everyone is done"), but
session managers should use the safe shutdown option.

No, there is no 'shutdown now', there's only 'shutdown after this session is
done' and 'shutdown after all sessions are done' (in current CVS anyway,
I haven't actually tested that code yet, that's why there wasn't a devel
release yet :) I think session manager should use the 'shutdown after this
session is done' and then it should end the session and the dm will shut
down. The other option is more for some sysadmin tool IMO.

Okay.

The session manager should take care of warning the user if there are other
users logged on I think, perhaps even looking at ssh logins and such.  But
that's an implementation detail of the session manager.

Sounds fine, but since the display manager already knows about the sessions
it starts (presumably), maybe it would be good if the sm could query
that information.  Note it will only be one of several possible things the
sm will need to check.

--Ray