[zanata-devel] Guava @Beta APIs

Patrick Huang pahuang at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 07:05:57 UTC 2013

I will give it a go.

Patrick Huang
Senior Software Engineer
Engineering - Internationalisation
Red Hat

----- Original Message -----

From: "Sean Flanigan" <sflaniga at redhat.com>
To: "zanata-devel" <zanata-devel at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:25:19 PM
Subject: [zanata-devel] Guava @Beta APIs

TLDR: please don't use Guava Beta APIs. Also, help wanted for FindBugs
integration.

In Guava "Deprecated non-beta APIs will be removed eighteen months after
the release in which they are first deprecated."

For the Guava package in Fedora, the oldest supported version of Fedora
still supported can only be 13 months old, so if we keep pace with the
deprecations, we should be okay. (EPEL might be another story.)

However, this does not apply to Guava classes/methods which are marked
@Beta. These can be removed in any major release (eg Guava 11 to 12).

So we need to avoid using @Beta API, at least in the client, if we want
to be able to package the client for Fedora.

The good news is that there is a FindBugs plug-in which can help prevent
us from doing this again:

http://www.overstocktechblog.com/2012/06/25/announcing-library-detectors/

Anyone want to volunteer to integrate FindBugs, and this plug-in, into
our Maven build?

--
Sean Flanigan