[zanata-devel] Contrarian thoughts on null pointers, null objects, empty collections and Optional

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 08:25:03 UTC 2015

> Here's that article I mentioned.  Some interesting ideas in here.
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/787668/Why-We-Should-Love-null
>
> Whether or not you agree with welcoming back nulls, the idea of treating
> empty collections as an important special case might have some merit.
>
> The follow-up articles "Is it Really Better to 'Return an Empty List
> Instead of null'?" are quite good too.

Just an OT side comment: I just got back from devconf.cz
where there were a number of Java/JBoss talks (I didn't attend:).

I noticed http://kotlinlang.org/ which looks potentially
interesting (since there was a talk about it too).

"Avoid having to work with pesky null reference exception checks."
- just to get vaguely back on topic. ;) :)

Jens