[zanata-users] zh_Hans_CN zh_CN, zanata.xml, etc

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Mon May 21 16:33:14 UTC 2012

Trying to track down some weirdness we are seeing with the
translation process for subscription-manager
(https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/project/view/subscription-manager)

and in particular the 0.99.x branch.

Long story short, we noticed the pt_BR translations we had
were ancient, despite pulling from zanata for every
release. Eventually we figure out the zanata.xml
got when we set up the branch is no longer the current
one.  ie, we had one like:

<config xmlns="http://zanata.org/namespace/config/">
<url>https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/</url>
<project>subscription-manager</project>
<project-version>0.99.X</project-version>
<locales>
<locale>as</locale>
<locale map-from="bn">bn-IN</locale>
<locale map-from="de">de-DE</locale>
<locale map-from="es">es-ES</locale>
<locale>fr</locale>
<locale>gu</locale>
<locale>hi</locale>
<locale>it</locale>
<locale>ja</locale>
<locale>kn</locale>
<locale>ko</locale>
<locale>ml</locale>
<locale>mr</locale>
<locale>or</locale>
<locale>pa</locale>
<locale map-from="pt">pt-BR</locale>
<locale>ru</locale>
<locale map-from="ta">ta-IN</locale>
<locale>te</locale>
<locale map-from="zh_CN">zh-Hans-CN</locale>
<locale map-from="zh_TW">zh-Hant-TW</locale>
</locales>
</config>

The latest one from
https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/project/view/subscription-manager/iter/0.99.X/config
is different. Amongst other things, it get's weird of the weird pt-BR
entry above, and now
just includes a pt_BR (which is nice and 100%), and a pt_PT which is not
as much (which
is fine, since it's not a supported lang).

So updating the zanata.xml, and doing a zanata pull fixes the pt_BR issues.

Question 1: how often do the zanata.xml's change, and what's the best
way to insure
I have the latest one?

But... doing that changes the list of po's included, included the zh_*
langs.

Question 2: Our supported languages include zh_CN and zh_TW, and this is how
we have tested (LANG=zh_CN.UTF8, etc). The latest zanata.xml and zanata tool
however creates zh_Hans_CN.po and zh_Hant_TW.po. Installing these
breaks LANG=zh_CN.UTF8. LANG=zh_Hans_CN.UTF8 also breaks
subscription-manager
client code in a way that suggest it's not setting the text encoding
correctly for
that case.

Should I be installing these different? What is the relation between
zh_CN and zh_Hans_CN?

(quick answer would be greatly appreciated, since we are close to freeze)

Adrian