[zanata-users] zh_Hans_CN zh_CN, zanata.xml, etc

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Tue May 22 23:44:25 UTC 2012

On 05/22/2012 11:19 PM, Adrian Likins wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 08:07 PM, Sean Flanigan wrote:
>> On 05/22/2012 02:33 AM, Adrian Likins wrote:
>>>
>>> Long story short, we noticed the pt_BR translations we had
>>> were ancient, despite pulling from zanata for every
>>> release. Eventually we figure out the zanata.xml
>>> got when we set up the branch is no longer the current
>>> one.  ie, we had one like:
>>>
>>> Question 1: how often do the zanata.xml's change, and what's the best
>>> way to insure
>>> I have the latest one?
>> Zanata will generate zanata.xml whenever you click that button.  You can
>> ignore it if you like, it's just there to help with creating zanata.xml
>> initially.  But basically, the contents will change when the chosen
>> locales on the server change.  NB: The zanata.xml generated by Zanata
>> never includes any map-from attributes, like<locale
>> map-from="pt">pt-BR</locale>.  I don't know where that came from, you'd
>> have to look at your source control history.
>>
>      Interesting. Nothing revealing in the git logs, looks like
> the previous mapped to changes landed at the same time
> as the change from internal zanata to external zanata.
> Could have been done by hand, hard to say.

Must have been.

>> If someone changes the locales associated with the project, they should
>> update zanata.xml (probably by hand) and commit it to source control if
>> they want to push/pull those locales.
>
> Cool, that's what I ended up doing, so good that's the preffered
> approach.
>
>>> But... doing that changes the list of po's included, included the zh_*
>>> langs.
>> Included in what?
>      Included in the zanata.xml (or more specifically, it was
> added to the latest zanata.xml from the server at some point,
> and wasn't there in the version we had in source control)
>

>> You need to restore the map-from attributes for those locales, ie
>>
>> <locale map-from="zh_CN">zh-Hans-CN</locale>
>> <locale map-from="zh_TW">zh-Hant-TW</locale>
>>

>> This will cause zh-Hans-CN to be pulled down to zh_CN.po instead of
>> zh_Hans_CN.po.
>>
> Cool, that's what I thought but figured I'd check.
>>> Should I be installing these different? What is the relation between
>>> zh_CN and zh_Hans_CN?
>> Obviously they really represent the same thing, but zh_Hans_CN includes
>> information about the use of the Chinese simplified script.  zh_Hans is
>> often better though, because it lets you use Chinese simplified script
>> anywhere (eg Malaysia, Singapore), without having to tell the OS that
>> you live in China.
>>
>> Unfortunately, locales like zh_Hans and zh_Hans_CN aren't well supported
>> by runtime i18n libraries.
>
> Seems like it. Fortunately, things seem happy installing zh_Hans_CN
> and zh_Hant_TW as zh_CN and zh_TW, respectively.
>
> One more question, is there a good doc on what the "map-from"
> attributes should be?
>
> We previously mapped:
>      de_DE -> de
>      es_ES -> es
>      bn_IN -> in
>      ta_IN -> ta
>      pt_BR -> pt
>
> It seems like at least pt_BR -> pt is somewhat frowned upon.

At one stage we were trying to keep country-specific locales out of the
Zanata server config.  de-DE and de usually 'mean' the same thing.
pt-BR is different though, because pt and pt-BR are quite different.

We're trying to move away from locale mapping, but there's some things
that need to change in the server first.  In the meantime, I recommend
keeping mapping to a minimum.

> I've added the maps from the zh_ langs.  Should I add others?

No, that should be fine.

> The version I currently have up for review only maps in cases
> where the zanata provided versions don't map to the supported
> RHEL6 langs (ie, the zh_* cases).

Yes, that's exactly right.

> ie, I currently have:
>
> <locales>
> <locale>as</locale>
> <locale>bn-IN</locale>
> <locale>de-DE</locale>
> <locale>es-ES</locale>
> <locale>fr</locale>
> <locale>gu</locale>
> <locale>hi</locale>
> <locale>it</locale>
> <locale>ja</locale>
> <locale>kn</locale>
> <locale>ko</locale>
> <locale>ml</locale>
> <locale>mr</locale>
> <locale>or</locale>
> <locale>pa</locale>
> <locale>pt-BR</locale>
> <locale>ru</locale>
> <locale>ta-IN</locale>
> <locale>te</locale>
> <locale map-from="zh_CN">zh-Hans-CN</locale>
> <locale map-from="zh_TW">zh-Hant-TW</locale>
> </locales>
>
> Does this seem correct?

Yes, that looks okay.

--