[zanata-users] Unwanted insertion of escape character when pulling utf8properties from Zanata

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 11:32:00 UTC 2015

While printing it should be fine if the backslash is simply getting
ignored, but while displaying messages on the user interface, which is
the case for Mozilla translations, then I think it must be fixed no
matter even if there's no difference.

Thanks,
Ankit

On 01/15/2015 04:52 PM, Alessandro Portosa wrote:
> I found my answer here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.properties#Format.
> Even if they are message strings, maybe Zanata prefers to add the
> backslash to avoid any confusion between normal and special characters.
> Anyway the \! should simply mean "this is not a special char, just a
> normal exclamation mark"... Therefore, on the application side nothing
> should change. If, as I think, there are no difference when the strings
> are printed, this is fine...
> Let me know if I am wrong in something!
>
> Alessandro.
>
> Il 15/01/2015 12:10, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ha scritto:
>> I faced the same issue while translating some of the Mozilla
>> utf8properties files. I still don't understand why the backslash is
>> added in message strings?
>>
>> /Ankit
>>
>> On 01/15/2015 04:36 PM, Alessandro Portosa wrote:
>>> Nevermind, just figure it out why.
>>> Depending of the code language, ! could be used to specify a comment,
>>> and : can be used as delimiter between the key and the value. That's why
>>> the backslash.
>>>
>>> Alessandro.

Regards,
Ankitkumar Patel             	Mob: +91 9890772942
Manager, Localization Services	Desk: +91 2030467211
Pune - India            	Fax: +91 2030467499