[zanata-users] Handling *.ts files using the command line client

Mario Blättermann mario.blaettermann at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:20:24 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm the maintainer of the Glabels translation project [1] on Zanata.
After porting Glabels from GTK to Qt5, we use *.ts files for
translations. The web interface of Zanata can handle such files almost
correctly (just a few constraints, such as fake errors when displaying
strings that contain mnemonics). But the command line clients doesn't
work as expected at all.

I'm using zanata-python-client-1.5.2, available from the Archlinux
User Repository [2]. Here's my zanata.xml, generated by "zanata init":

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes'?>
<config xmlns="http://zanata.org/namespace/config/">
  <url>https://translate.zanata.org</url>
  <project>Glabels</project>
  <project-version>master</project-version>
  <project-type>file</project-type>
  <src-dir>translations</src-dir>
  <trans-dir>translations</trans-dir>
</config>

The files reside in "translations", both source files (glabels_C.ts
and templates_C.ts) and translation files (glabels_xxx.ts and
templates_xxx.ts, where xxx is the language code). See [3] to have a
better view. Updating source files I could do manually, so "push" is
not the problem. But when I attempt to fetch the translations using a
simple "zanata pull", the client behaves really strange. Although all
files are in the same directory, a subdirectory structure will be
created in "translations", named by the available locales. The
directories then contain the translations for each language found, but
as *.po files which are empty! Not really empty in terms of an empty
text file, but without any translated strings. This is what I get for
the time being, and it is not really much...

What I expect actually: The "zanata pull" command should look for
translated *.ts files and sync them with the local ones, sorting out
the files for languages which are configured in Zanata, but don't have
a translation yet. In any case I need *.ts files, not the *.po
pendants.

Unfortunately, the online docs seem to be outdated. Some of the
command line arguments described there don't work, and I haven't found
anything about handling *.ts files. Even setting "Project Type" to
"ts" seems to be impossible. So I have choosen for "plain text", which
is obviously not sufficient in my case.

Can anybody help me please?

(Please keep Jim Evins in CC, he's the upstream maintainer of Glabels
and not subscribed to this list.)

[1] https://translate.zanata.org/iteration/view/Glabels/master
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/zanata-python-client/
[3] https://github.com/mariobl/glabels-qt/tree/master/translations