[zanata-users] Changing base strings

Leonhard Kreissig leonhard at kreissig.de
Wed Nov 14 15:19:03 UTC 2018

Heyho,

I’m currently maintaining a project that contains many faulty base strings (in English).
I’ve set up a new translation to English where native speakers corrected the strings.

Now I want to swap the strings so in case my i18n tools fail there are correct strings and so ‚real‘ translators for other languages have a good base to work upon.

My project uses gettext, so .po/.pot format.

I’ve written a script that moves the corrected msgstr’s to the msgid field and the faulty msgid’s to previous_msgid. I hoped Zapata would recognize that and keep all the translations (The translators would be really really angry if they had to start from the beginning).

Does anyone have an idea to swap the base strings and keep the translations?

My script is capable of inserting the new base strings in already translated po-files, but I can’t upload them to Zapata anyways.

Leo