[Devtools] [Container-tools] Prepackaged OpenShift template with CDK

Hardy Ferentschik hferents at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 16:54:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, 06-Apr-2016 14:33, Clayton Coleman wrote:
> Please don't rename templates in CDK - we're going to have a big
> enough supportability problem without them diverging

So what do you suggest? What are the plans to get some order into the chaos?

> Fixes to resources should be happening in OpenShift - identify issues, we'll
> escalate and resolve the

The templates we are "consuming" are not coming only from OpenShift. For example we
use content from the following repositories example openshift/origin, jboss-openshift,
openshift-nodejs-ex.

>Having templates be different in multiple
> places is going to cause more problems, not less.

Sure, but how to deal with this? For example, the jboss image stream contains a lot of
things which we don't want to expose atm. So we need to split up the json, right?
Also this particular template contains entries for the various tagged versions of a builder image,
for example EAP. This might be useful in some in some cases, but in most cases the user
won't know what the difference is and when to use it. Also the names themselves are not really
friendly on the eye when viewed at in the console.

So if hand-rolling is not the way to go, I would love to hear how else we can improve
the current situation. Yes, it is more maintenance, but it could also be a distinguishing feature
to other OpenShift out-of-the-box setups which would be less "cleaned up".

--Hardy