[Devtools] CDK 2.4 and Minishift CDK uses lots of CPU

Burr Sutter bsutter at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 20:55:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Hardy Ferentschik <hferents at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hate to break your heart, but just don't use xhyve.
> I know it is the "native" hypervisor on OS X, but imo is just not ready
> for prime time.

Well the cool kids like James Strachan and Kamesh Sampath are telling me
that xhyve is super awesome and I would be better looking, thinner and 10
years younger if I just tried it :-)

> If you want to have a stable environment use VirtualBox. I use VirtualBox
> for development and hardly xhyve. xhyve has a tendency to hang and it as
> you noticed
> yourself handles hibernation really badly. Also, when you get into a bad
> state,
> xhyve can literally force you to restart your notebook. Btw, have I
> mentioned the
> "issues" around the fact that the xhyve driver needs to run as root, hence
> creating
> files I cannot easily delete afterwards?

I do not even know what files to go delete...but I do see it misbehaving.

> I have an Minishift instance running pretty much all the time and
> hibernate my
> machine as often as I like with hardly having any trouble.
>
> What is so appealing with xhyve? Is it such a hassle to install and use
> VirtualBox?
>
> > CDK 2.1 could also handle the laptop sleep cycle pretty well (at least 4+
> > sleep/wake cycles) but I do not believe CDK 2.3 could as one sleep/wake
> > cycle could cause it to "eat all the CPU".
>
> Both cases used to work for me afaicr.

CDK 2.2+ uses more CPU than before - I stuck with CDK 2.1 until Jan 2017
for demos :-)

Now my demo volume (longer time spans between demos) is low enough that I
can afford to reset the demo on CDK 2.3+ for each presentation.

> > In my case, I always use the CDK 2.x with Virtual Box
> > and the Minishift CDK with Xyhve
>
> Why are you not using VirtualBox for Minishift as well?

Just because :-)

> BTW, regarding the MSA example. Provisioned it just yesterday on latest
> Minishift version
> and it worked ok.

It works...it is slower than it used to be and even with VirtualBox, it
does not survive as many sleep/wake cycles as it used to (CDK 2.1 days).