[Devtools] CDK 2.4 and Minishift CDK uses lots of CPU

Burr Sutter bsutter at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 13:46:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Kamesh Sampath <ksampath at redhat.com>
wrote:

> +1 James - I never installed VB on my Mac, I did not face any issue with
> xhyve personally unless some kits or programs corrupts my xhyve config.
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:10 AM Burr Sutter <bsutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Hardy Ferentschik <hferents at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > Well the cool kids like James Strachan and Kamesh Sampath are telling me
>> > that xhyve is super awesome and I would be better looking, thinner and
>> 10
>> > years younger if I just tried it :-)
>>
>> LOL. I wonder why it is supposedly cool. It is known to misbehave and it
>> does
>> not even have a management console, leaving me sometimes wildly guessing
>> on
>> what's going on. At least VirtualBox and Hyper-V offer me some way to
>> inspect/manage virtual machines.
>>
>> Why do I ever need a manager kind of ui ?? Its all simple scripts that
> gets it going.. there is script generator called xhyve-maanger you can use
> it as well. the handling of IP's is damn clean with xhyve, I personally
> hate the mandatory NAT ip concept of VB which kills and makes nearly
> impossible to setup like 3 nodes OSO/OCP, it might require lot of tweaks to
> make it wolk but I don't have patience.
>

>From an pure end-user perspective, they won't be setting up 3 nodes on
their laptop.  They will be lucky to get a single node to work :-)

And there is one big win with the manager UI - you can actually SEE it
running.  In demos, I have used that UI to make the point "I have a whole
cloud architecture running in 6GB of RAM, see it right here".

Plus, VB is available on Windows and Mac, the majority of end-users should
be Windows based if we do our jobs right (80% of the developer market still
runs Windows).  So, teaching people with VB is more "portable" across
operating systems.

In any case, I am on VB now, I will see if it is more stable than xyhve.

The sleep/wake thing is HUGE for me as I often move from demo to demo by
closing the lid on the laptop.