[edk2-devel] EDK II Stable Tag release edk2-stable201905 completed

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 15:46:37 UTC 2019

On 06/11/19 12:30, Leif Lindholm wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:08:34PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>>> Argh, no. OpenSSL has boringssl as a git submodule.
>>>
>>> edk2/CryptoPkg/Library/OpensslLib/openssl$ cat .gitmodules
>>> [submodule "boringssl"]
>>>         path = boringssl
>>>         url = https://boringssl.googlesource.com/boringssl
>>>

>> That's right, but it shouldn't matter. In edk2, I always use
>>
>> $ git submodule update --init --force
>>
>> and I never pass the "--recursive" flag. This is also how I tested the
>> upgrade to OpenSSL-1.1.1b, before edk2-stable201905 was tagged. The
>> boringssl sub-sub-module is not needed for edk2's purposes.
>>
>> We might want to drop "--recursive" from "OpenSSL-HOWTO.txt", instead.
>
> The instructions have spread to many other places (build instructions
> in wiki and edk2-platforms Readme.md being two of them).
> That's not to say we shouldn't change it, but that we need to go
> through and update those places too.
>
> And frankly, if we've accepted the need to support submodules, we
> need to document how edk2 interacts with submodules, not how each
> individual submodule interacts with edk2 - so the git instructions in
> OpenSSL-HOWTO.txt should probably be deleted.
>
> This might be a good topic to bring to the next design meeting.
>
> Presumably the above will be a useful workaround for the original
> reporter in the meantime.

To be clear -- the problem *exists* only because the original reporter
is stuck behind a restrictive firewall. There is nothing *technically*
wrong with the current instructions in "OpenSSL-HOWTO.txt". There is
nothing particular in how "edk2 interacts with submodules". We're
discussing workarounds for a political problem.

View/Reply Online (#42211): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42211
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io