[edk2-devel] EDK II Stable Tag release edk2-stable201905 completed

Leif Lindholm leif.lindholm at linaro.org
Tue Jun 11 16:08:21 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 05:46:37PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> > The instructions have spread to many other places (build instructions
> > in wiki and edk2-platforms Readme.md being two of them).
> > That's not to say we shouldn't change it, but that we need to go
> > through and update those places too.
> >
> > And frankly, if we've accepted the need to support submodules, we
> > need to document how edk2 interacts with submodules, not how each
> > individual submodule interacts with edk2 - so the git instructions in
> > OpenSSL-HOWTO.txt should probably be deleted.
> >
> > This might be a good topic to bring to the next design meeting.
> >
> > Presumably the above will be a useful workaround for the original
> > reporter in the meantime.
>
> To be clear -- the problem *exists* only because the original reporter
> is stuck behind a restrictive firewall. There is nothing *technically*
> wrong with the current instructions in "OpenSSL-HOWTO.txt". There is
> nothing particular in how "edk2 interacts with submodules". We're
> discussing workarounds for a political problem.

At this point in time we are discussing a workaround for a political
problem. But relying on submodules means relinquishing elements of
control and consistency (if github goes down, we're consistently
down).

In this instance, we explicitly don't care about the submodule for
that other project (and I really hope this is the norm) - so we
shouldn't be documenting steps that rely on that additional
submodule existing. Whether its inaccessibility is for political (not
just this one, but "oh, someone told me there was pirated things on
that host"), technical ("server went down") or financial ("where is me
domain, me noggin' noggin' domain, it's all gone for beer and
tobacco") reasons.

(Why yes, I may be going slightly loopy from too much python.)

This is why I am referring to anything other than a central definition
of the relationship between edk2 and its submodules as a workaround. I
am not suggesting any shortcomings in the technical aspect.

/
    Leif

View/Reply Online (#42217): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/42217
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io