[edk2-devel] [edk2-announce] Re: Soft Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202008

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 13:19:12 UTC 2020

On 08/19/20 13:48, Leif Lindholm wrote:
> (Slightly trimmed recipient list due to different patch being discussed.)
>
> So, I can't make this call, because I'm the one who messed up.
>
> This patch does exactly what I had requested Abner to do some time
> back (off-list, unfortunately), and I was *convinced* I gave it an R-b
> as soon as it hit my inbox - until Abner nudged me about it yesterday.
>
> The patch in question is
> https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/topic/76021725

My understanding is:

(1) there is an external project that consumes the FDT library in
EmbeddedPkg, meaning the lib class header "EmbeddedPkg/Include/libfdt.h"
and the lib instance "EmbeddedPkg/Library/FdtLib/FdtLib.inf",

(2) the lib class header pulls in "fdt.h" and "libfdt_env.h",

(3) the external project is not edk2-platforms,

(4) the external project wants -- for some strange reason -- edk2's
"libfdt_env.h" to provide an strncmp() function (or function-like
macro), with that particular stncmp() implementation not being needed in
either edk2-platforms or edk2 itself,

(5) the patch for adding said strncmp() was posted on Aug 6th (at least
when viewed from my time zone), i.e., before the SFF,

(6) it was reviewed 12 days later (within the SFF)

If my understanding is correct, then I don't see how this patch could be
considered a bugfix -- even as a feature addition, it seems hardly
justified to me --, and there would have been ~8 days before the SFF to
review it.

I think we should postpone the patch until after the stable tag.

View/Reply Online (#64429): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/64429
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io