[edk2-devel] [Patch v2 00/28] UEFI variable protection

Michael Kubacki mikuback at linux.microsoft.com
Tue Aug 23 03:35:50 UTC 2022

Hi Judah,

Just wanted to send a reminder to see if you have this data from your
testing.

Thanks,
Michael

On 6/16/2022 3:13 PM, Michael Kubacki wrote:
> [...]
>> and update MetaDataHmacVar.
>>    - Variable reclaim before and after time.
>>
>> 2. Overall non-volatile store size overhead impact with AES-CBC
>> encrypted variables?
>>
>> I understand these will vary based on system properties like SPI flash
>> parameters, cryptographic processor details, etc. I'm trying to get an
>> idea of the impact from sample data or averages on a particular system
>> configuration. Also to learn whether the native encryption instruction
>> (AES-NI) was used and if that could provide any benefit given the
>> potential number of encryption/decryption operations introduced.
>>
>> For the code design, I feel the ProtectedVariableLib interface is a
>> bit too coupled against internal implementation details of the
>> variable driver. I generally understand why the code is split out to
>> wrap operations around the new functionality and it follows the
>> AuthVarLib pattern but changing the library or driver will continue to
>> require large changes across both like this due to the coupling.
>>
>> Small things I noticed:
>> 1. VariableKeyLib.inf should not be "BASE", it directly depends on PEI
>> services
>> 2. Typo "varabile" in some files
>> 3. Does ProtectedVariableLibNull actually need to depend on
>> BaseMemoryLib?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>>
>> On 4/29/2022 2:04 PM, Judah Vang wrote:
>>> For a more detail description of the UEFI variable protected feature
>>> you can
>>> view the Readme.md located at the following location:
>>> https://github.com/judahvang/edk2/tree/rpmc-update
>>>

>>> Judah Vang (28):
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Add new GUID for Variable Store Info
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add new GUIDs for
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Update AUTH_VARIABLE_INFO struct
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Add reference to new Ppi Guid
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Add new ProtectedVariable GUIDs
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Add new include files
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Add Null ProtectedVariable Library
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Add new Variable functionality
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Add support for Protected Variables
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add new KeyService types and defines
>>>    SecurityPkg: Update RPMC APIs with index
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add new variable types and functions
>>>    SecurityPkg: Fix GetVariableKey API
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add null encryption variable libs
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add VariableKey library function
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add EncryptionVariable lib with AES
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add Protected Variable Services
>>>    MdeModulePkg: Reference Null ProtectedVariableLib
>>>    SecurityPkg: Add references to new *.inf files
>>>    ArmVirtPkg: Add reference to ProtectedVariableNull
>>>    UefiPayloadPkg: Add ProtectedVariable reference
>>>    EmulatorPkg: Add ProtectedVariable reference
>>>    OvmfPkg: Add ProtectedVariable reference
>>>    OvmfPkg: Add ProtectedVariableLib reference
>>>    OvmfPkg: Add ProtectedVariableLib reference
>>>    OvmfPkg: Add ProtectedVariableLib reference
>>>    OvmfPkg: Add ProtectedVariable reference
>>>    CryptoPkg: Enable cypto HMAC KDF library

>>> SecurityPkg/SecurityPkg.dec |   43 +-
>>> ArmVirtPkg/ArmVirtQemu.dsc |    3 +-
>>> EmulatorPkg/EmulatorPkg.dsc |    3 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/MdeModulePkg.dsc |    4 +-
>>> OvmfPkg/AmdSev/AmdSevX64.dsc |    3 +-
>>> OvmfPkg/Bhyve/BhyveX64.dsc |    3 +-
>>> OvmfPkg/CloudHv/CloudHvX64.dsc |    1 +
>>> OvmfPkg/Microvm/MicrovmX64.dsc |    3 +-
>>> OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32.dsc |    1 +
>>> OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgIa32X64.dsc |    1 +
>>> OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgX64.dsc |    1 +
>>> OvmfPkg/OvmfXen.dsc |    3 +-
>>> SecurityPkg/SecurityPkg.dsc |   13 +-
>>> UefiPayloadPkg/UefiPayloadPkg.dsc |    2 +
>>> CryptoPkg/Library/BaseCryptLib/SmmCryptLib.inf |    2 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLibNull/ProtectedVariableLibNull.inf
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/Pei/VariablePei.inf |   10 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableRuntimeDxe.inf
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableSmm.inf |    3 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableSmmRuntimeDxe.inf
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableStandaloneMm.inf
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/EncryptionVariableLib/EncryptionVariableLib.inf
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/EncryptionVariableLibNull/EncryptionVariableLibNull.inf
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/DxeProtectedVariableLib.inf
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/PeiProtectedVariableLib.inf
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/SmmProtectedVariableLib.inf
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/SmmRuntimeProtectedVariableLib.inf
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/VariableKeyLib/VariableKeyLib.inf |   36 +
>>> MdeModulePkg/Include/Guid/ProtectedVariable.h |   22 +
>>> MdeModulePkg/Include/Library/AuthVariableLib.h |    4 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Include/Library/EncryptionVariableLib.h |  165 ++
>>> MdeModulePkg/Include/Library/ProtectedVariableLib.h |  700 +++++++
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/Pei/Variable.h |   80 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/Pei/VariableParsing.h |  309 +++
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/Pei/VariableStore.h |  116 ++
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/Variable.h |  126 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableParsing.h |   91 +-
>>> MdePkg/Include/Ppi/ReadOnlyVariable2.h |    4 +-
>>> SecurityPkg/Include/Library/RpmcLib.h |   15 +-
>>> SecurityPkg/Include/Library/VariableKeyLib.h |   37 +-
>>> SecurityPkg/Include/Ppi/KeyServicePpi.h |   57 +
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/EncryptionVariableLib/EncryptionVariable.h |   49 +
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/ProtectedVariableInternal.h
>>> MdeModulePkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLibNull/ProtectedVariable.c |
>>> 449 ++++
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/Pei/Variable.c |  886 ++------
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/Pei/VariableParsing.c |  941 +++++++++
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/Pei/VariableStore.c |  305 +++
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/Reclaim.c |  349 +++-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/Variable.c | 2139
>>> +++++++++++---------
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableDxe.c |   26 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableExLib.c |  167 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableNonVolatile.c |
>>> 194 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableParsing.c |  320 ++-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableRuntimeCache.c
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableSmm.c |   39 +-
>>> MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe/VariableSmmRuntimeDxe.c
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/EncryptionVariableLib/EncryptionVariable.c |  728
>>> +++++++
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/EncryptionVariableLibNull/EncryptionVariable.c |
>>> 107 +
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/ProtectedVariableCommon.c |
>>> 2095 +++++++++++++++++++
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/ProtectedVariableDxe.c |
>>> 163 ++
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/ProtectedVariablePei.c |
>>> 1331 ++++++++++++
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/ProtectedVariableSmm.c |
>>> 209 ++
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/ProtectedVariableSmmDxeCommon.c
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/ProtectedVariableLib/ProtectedVariableSmmRuntime.c |
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/RpmcLibNull/RpmcLibNull.c |    8 +-
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/VariableKeyLib/VariableKeyLib.c |   59 +
>>> SecurityPkg/Library/VariableKeyLibNull/VariableKeyLibNull.c |    6 +-

View/Reply Online (#92646): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/92646
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io