[edk2-devel] DSC nightmare

Benjamin Mordaunt crawford.benjamin15 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:36:50 UTC 2023

Hi,

I am working on implementing a new Arm platform in edk2-platforms, and have reached the stage of tackling writing a DSC to describe it, along with a "dsc.inc" which contains defines etc. common to platforms sharing the same SoC. I'm using, as reference the platforms currently present in the repository, such as RPi, Beagleboard and HiKey.

However, it's a horrible process and I can't wrap my head around why I need to list hundreds of libraries (in the LibraryClasses.X) sections, seemingly by hand. By the looks of it, most of them pull from ArmPkg, ArmPlatformPkg, MdePkg etc., being either the default implementations of these libraries, or "Null" versions which stub out the functionality. Only a few are platform specific, such as some drivers I've implemented (display, serial etc.).

Not only that, I then need to list them all over again for each EFI boot stage, SEC, PEI_CORE, PEIM and so on... why?! Why can't I just say "Hey, this is an aarch64 platform with the following drivers/libraries/quirks for my platform. It's a huge pain, not to mention a maintenance nightmare...

Am I looking at this wrong? This seems like an obvious problem and greatly increases the labour and maintenance effort required to implement a new platform.

---

Ben

View/Reply Online (#100448): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/100448
Group Owner: devel+owner at edk2.groups.io