[edk2-devel] DSC nightmare

Andrew Fish via groups.io afish=apple.com at groups.io
Thu Feb 23 01:19:37 UTC 2023

Ben,

I’d say the tools are optimized to be general purpose. So they are not really designed to be the easy button.

In terms of things like SEC/PEI or DXE it is very common for this code on x86 to be compiled for different architectures. SEC/PEI is usually i386 and DXE is x86_64. Crazy I know but historically on x86 you can’t be in 64-bit mode without paging being enabled, and you can’t (legally) put page tables in ROM. So the early code at the reset vector (SEC) and the code to turn on memory (PEI) is 32-bit i386. PEI got a lot bigger than we envisioned mainly due to it taking a PhD in antenna design to turn on memory on an Intel chipset. Then all the power on engineers got good at writing PEI code and moved more code to PEI, but I digress….

OK let us leave behind binary compatibility and talk about the different contracts that exist in the different phases. For example how to allocate memory. There is no standard way in SEC (People use PHIT HOB), there is a PEI specific API[1], and a DXE/UEFI specific API[2]. So you can end up with different instances of the same library API coded with the same API, but implemented differently. This was a conscious choice on our part to make it much easier to port code between the different worlds. We also support the concept of multiple instances of a give library that use different hardware, or are optimized for different things. For example we have some libs that produce our version of memcpy etc that have different instances for PEI[3] and DXE[4]. Seems when you are running from ROM vs. running from memory the optimal optimization schemes are different. Thus we give the user a lot of power over which instance of a library they can pick. When you need it, it is very handy. You also don’t have other people randomly changing the rules on you, which can be important for things like security reviews etc.

So a little lingo sometimes helps. A library class is the contract, or the header file that defines the public interface for the library. The library instance is the implementation, as I mentioned above there can be more than one for many reasons. Base means the code does not depend on any of the boot phases. SEC/PEI/DXE etc are phases defined by the UEFI PI Spec [1].

I guess we could try to combine libraries of different phases together to simplify things, but at this point we have lots of customers with (as you point out) complex DSC files that would all break if we refactored the libs. So kind of makes fixing things a little harder.

In terms of tips I find it I useful to use a little git foo to find instances of libraries. The library INF file defines which library class the library implements so you can filter by LIBRARY_CLASS to get the instances (implementations) of a given library class.

/Volumes/Case/edk2(master)>git grep BaseMemoryLib -- \*.inf | grep LIBRARY_CLASS
MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLib/BaseMemoryLib.inf:20:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib
MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibMmx/BaseMemoryLibMmx.inf:21:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib
MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibOptDxe/BaseMemoryLibOptDxe.inf:21:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib
MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibOptDxe/BaseMemoryLibOptDxe.inf:79:  LIBRARY_CLASS = BaseMemoryLib|DXE_CORE DXE_DRIVER DXE_RUNTIME_DRIVER UEFI_DRIVER UEFI_APPLICATION
MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibOptPei/BaseMemoryLibOptPei.inf:21:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib
MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibRepStr/BaseMemoryLibRepStr.inf:21:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib
MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibSse2/BaseMemoryLibSse2.inf:20:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib
MdePkg/Library/PeiMemoryLib/PeiMemoryLib.inf:21:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib|PEIM
MdePkg/Library/UefiMemoryLib/UefiMemoryLib.inf:21:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = BaseMemoryLib|DXE_DRIVER DXE_RUNTIME_DRIVER DXE_SMM_DRIVER UEFI_APPLICATION UEFI_DRIVER

/Volumes/Case/edk2(master)>git grep SerialPortLib  -- \*.inf | grep LIBRARY_CLASS
ArmPkg/Library/SemiHostingSerialPortLib/SemiHostingSerialPortLib.inf:17:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib
ArmPlatformPkg/Library/PL011SerialPortLib/PL011SerialPortLib.inf:17:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib
ArmVirtPkg/Library/FdtPL011SerialPortLib/EarlyFdtPL011SerialPortLib.inf:17:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib|SEC PEI_CORE PEIM
ArmVirtPkg/Library/FdtPL011SerialPortLib/FdtPL011SerialPortLib.inf:17:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib|DXE_CORE DXE_DRIVER UEFI_DRIVER DXE_RUNTIME_DRIVER UEFI_APPLICATION
EmulatorPkg/Library/DxeEmuSerialPortLib/DxeEmuSerialPortLib.inf:18:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib| DXE_CORE DXE_DRIVER DXE_RUNTIME_DRIVER DXE_SMM_DRIVER SMM_CORE UEFI_APPLICATION UEFI_DRIVE
EmulatorPkg/Library/DxeEmuStdErrSerialPortLib/DxeEmuStdErrSerialPortLib.inf:18:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib| DXE_CORE DXE_DRIVER DXE_RUNTIME_DRIVER DXE_SMM_DRIVER SMM_CORE UEFI_APPLICATION UEFI_DRIVE
EmulatorPkg/Library/PeiEmuSerialPortLib/PeiEmuSerialPortLib.inf:18:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib| PEI_CORE PEIM SEC
MdeModulePkg/Library/BaseSerialPortLib16550/BaseSerialPortLib16550.inf:18:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib
MdePkg/Library/BaseSerialPortLibNull/BaseSerialPortLibNull.inf:18:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib
OvmfPkg/Library/XenConsoleSerialPortLib/XenConsoleSerialPortLib.inf:17:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib
PcAtChipsetPkg/Library/SerialIoLib/SerialIoLib.inf:16:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib
UefiPayloadPkg/Library/BaseSerialPortLibHob/BaseSerialPortLibHob.inf:16:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib
UefiPayloadPkg/Library/CbSerialPortLib/CbSerialPortLib.inf:15:  LIBRARY_CLASS                  = SerialPortLib

[1] https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/MdePkg/Library/PeiMemoryAllocationLib/MemoryAllocationLib.c#L373
[2] https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/MdePkg/Library/UefiMemoryAllocationLib/MemoryAllocationLib.c#L376

[3] https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/tree/master/MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibOptPei
[4] https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/tree/master/MdePkg/Library/BaseMemoryLibOptDxe