[edk2-devel] GoogleTest Compatibility with MdePkg's IndustyStandard header files

Pedro Falcato pedro.falcato at gmail.com
Thu May 25 18:01:20 UTC 2023

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 6:43 PM Oliver Smith-Denny
<osde at linux.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for looking for solutions here. This one feels like
> quite a back bend, I'm imagining reading code and coming
> across TpmStruct.CPLUSPLUS_OPERATOR_KEYWORD and having to
> dig around quite a lot to see what goodness is going
> on. Because we would have to update the C files, too, right,

No, the idea is that current C code can use the
already-existing-and-standard .operator and .xor, and C++ can use
.operator_ and .xor_ (or the macros, although please no?).
But my idea was to leave this as a Tpm.h hack, not in Base.h (new
headers and structs should take C++ into account).

> depending on the test (there exist tests that want to test
> static functions and so include the C file in the unit test
> file). Perhaps that is an anti-pattern and googletest has

This is a hacky solution. Either write things in C++, or don't include
.c in .cpp.
C code is not C++ code. There's a lot of C code that does not and
should not compile in C++.

So:

1) Write the actual functionality code in C++. This is not yet
supported in EDK2 (I'm a proponent of this)
2) Don't make the functions you're testing static, or make them
conditionally static on something

Note: Adding proper, actual C++ code to EDK2 requires some care, but
could result in actual good changes. I don't know how well this would
be received by the community though.

> But, that being said, this is an issue we face, so perhaps
> it would be simpler to just rename the members to not conflict
> with the C++ keywords, as previously suggested, even though
> this may differ from the spec, but it would more align with
> EDKII's conventions (shouty case) where the C++ keywords seem
> to be lowercase. With the below patch, we would already be

I think breaking all sorts of users for this sort of "silly" problems
is not a good option here. There's no actual need for this ATM, apart
from "We want to test this silly code in this new Google Test library
that just appeared upstream".

But these are just my 2c of course.

--
Pedro