[Fedora-ia64-list] F8 for ia64 now available

Prarit Bhargava prarit at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 22:37:08 UTC 2007

John L. Bass wrote:
> Doug writes:
>
>> Your testing feedback _is_very_much_appreciated_.  Please do not get the
>> idea that it is not.  Keep in mind that just because we have not fixed
>> your specific problem does not mean that great progress has not been
>> made.  There were a lot of issues that prevented composing the iso's at
>> all and others that prevented booting or installation completely.
>>

> F8 ia64 is better than 95% complete and functional. There is absolutely no
> reason not to take a few weeks and close the F8 test/release cycle for end
> users.  As a major milestone F8's well tested as an integration of hundreds
> of thousands of interfaces and thousands of packages as a functional tested
> set, and usable even on ia64 in a production setting. The Fedora ia64 team
> seems to have other goals than reaching closure on production quality releases.

Let's put a stop to this nonsense:  Fedora-ia64 is *NOT* a production
quality release.

It hasn't been for approximately 6 months now.  And it won't be until we
get secondary arch status...

> Rawhide is by definition a moving target of unstability, and does not have
> any semblance to what can be regarded as a well tested production release
> that milestone releases like F8 have for end users. Intra-package dependencies
> and interfaces are never well tested until the next major milestone release.
>
> My goal, is to use F8 in a mixed architecture cluster using openMPI and other
> tools, combined with expecting a high degree of reliability and interoperability
> with F8 desktops in a production setting. I can not expect that from rawhide,
> nor does volunteering testing for rawhide meet my production goals for a shop
> based on F8 stability.  Moving to debian would be a better choice, than trying
> to continue supporting a mix of Fedora, RedHat AS and WS.

Great -- that sounds really exciting!

Here's a few things to try (and these have been suggested to you
previously):

a) Enter in a BZ that details your issue.  "Fedora-ia64 doesn't install"
is not a good description either.   I/we cannot diagnose an issue that
we know nothing about.
b) see if you can use dchapman's release notes and pungi to build your
own F8-like distro.  You can modify and test using that.

P.