New printer administration tool design for comments

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Feb 9 19:31:34 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 09 février 2006 à 18:30 +0000, Tim Waugh a écrit :

> 2.4. Modifying PPD options
>      ---------------------

> REMAINING QUESTIONS:
>
>   Perhaps the administration tool needn't provide a method for
>   changing default options at all?  After all, the applications will
>   be remembering their job settings between prints.

ROTFL.
1. No they won't, at least not all of them and not consistently
2. Some settings are job-specific and should *not* be remembered
3. Some apps won't be able to change settings so you'll need to to it at
the print queue level

> 2.5. Page size as a special case
>      ---------------------------
>
> When adding a new queue for an automatically detected printer, an
> appropriate default page size should be chosen based on the system
> locale.
>
> CUPS will already do this for us when a new queue is created, so there
> is no action to be taken.

Unless the RH/Fedora tools have been fouling-up cups, it has always been
defaulting to Letter in my experience (note : you need an A4 printer
which does not transparently scale Letter to A4 to notice this. The
printing apps are systematically lying about what they actually send
under Linux).

> 2.6. Persistent settings
>      -------------------
>
> Unplugging a USB printer and re-attaching it must retain the settings
> it had prior to unplugging.  This needs to be handled by HAL.

> The proposal that persistent settings be handled by simply
> disabling/enabling queues rather than removing queues altogether means
> that persistent settings can be managed entirely by HAL.

2.6.1 Inheritance of settings for one printer model

Also, when a new queue is setup for a printer model which the user
already used before, it should inherit the settings of the most recently
used queue of the same model

Printer model is either autodetected or declared by the user

(typical use case : bigcorp site where all the floors use the same
printers, and where dying printers are replaced by the same model from
the corp stocks)

2.6.2 Memory of configuration strategies

I'd also be nice if generic settings (use best quality available or
fastest printing, PS or PCL, duplex or not) could be remembered by the
tool and applied to new queues

2.12 Queue routing

2.12.1 Printer groups

The user must be able to create aliases for groups of printers, and
print to the group in apps (with the job sent to the first printer in
the group which is available and ready)

For roaming users which have access to several networked printers (some
of which may be on another physical site) the choice of the preferred
printer in the one group may be based on user location (dhcp hints,
hostname, whatever)

2.12.2 Rescue jobs

When jobs are stuck in the queue of a printer which is no longer
responding or stuck somewhere, and if other queues with compatible
characteristics (same PS level and paper...) are available or created
later, the print jobs should be routed (automatically or after prompting
the user) to these new queues

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot