[fedora-my] Getting a refund on Windows

Johann Amin johann at akiss.com.my
Fri Sep 18 03:30:53 UTC 2009

I was shopping around for a new notebook and was trying to find one
without Windows Vista pre-installed. None of the retailers had any bare
units available nor any listed in their sales catalogues. So I called
HP, twice with different sales persons to see if I could get an angle on
them but to no avail. Did the same with Dell with the same results. Just
for kicks, I tried their online chat/help. Below was what transpired.

<-- Start Online Conversation -->
Wednesday 2009-09-16
Session ID: 1168215

04:58:55 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  Initial Question/Comment: Looking
for the option of purchasing a notebook without Operating System.
04:59:11 PM  System    System       You are now being connected to an
agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
04:59:11 PM  System    System       Connected with Ross_Chan
04:59:11 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    Welcome to Dell Sales Chat. My name
is Ross_Chan. I'll be your personal sales agent. If you proceed to place
your order online, please indicate my name, Ross_Chan, as your sales
representative. I will call you to confirm the order.
04:59:11 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    Hi
04:59:16 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    How may I assists you?
04:59:52 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  I'm looking for the option of
purchasing a notebook without Operating System.
05:01:06 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  I called your support number and I
was told to place the order first, then call back to work out the details.
05:01:46 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  don't quite like how that works.
05:04:06 PM  Agen      Ross_Chan    Sorry sir. We don't have any package
without the OS.
05:05:18 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  I know. That is why I'm talking to
you all to see what you can do for me.
05:12:24 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    Sorry sir.I just double check. We
dont have the package without OS>
05:12:40 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    You can check with Dell Authorise
retailers on this option.
05:13:36 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  Retailers will tell me to talk to
Dell direct because all their systems are pre-built.
05:14:00 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    I see.
05:14:10 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    We don't have any package without OS.
05:15:29 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  I know you don't have a package with
OS in your catalogue, but can you customise one for me?
05:15:51 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    No. We cannot customise from a scratch.
05:16:06 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    We can only customise on the option
available in the system.
05:18:42 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  Is there anyone else I can talk to
that can customize a system without the OS?
05:18:51 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    No.
05:21:50 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  I wonder how the lady on the phone
said that you all can work something out if I place the order first and
here I'm told that is no other way.
05:24:24 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    Do you have her name or contact number?
05:25:09 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  sorry, did get her name.
05:26:43 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  I mean didn't.
05:28:42 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    I don't understand what she mean. If
customer place the order already means customer agree that the package
come with OS.
05:29:07 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    How can we remove the OS after
customer place the order which package with OS.
05:29:23 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    I believe she provide you the wrong
message.
05:29:43 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  Thats why I said I didn't like t he
idea.
05:34:58 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  A quick question away from this
then. What about companies that already have a Windows licensing plan
with Microsoft. No point in paying for a system with OS when that
already have their own.
05:50:24 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  Hello? Ross, are you still there? If
you're looking for an answer for me please state so.
05:51:27 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    Hi
05:51:52 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    I understand you situation but I
really can't help on this.
05:52:32 PM  Agent     Ross_Chan    What I do is send your request and
concern to the management see will they come out a package without OS.
05:53:19 PM  Customer  Johann Amin  Any help would be appreciated.
06:10:10 PM  System    System       Connected with Ross_Chan
06:21:41 PM  System    System       The session has ended!
<-- End Online Conversation -->

I finally bought the damn thing because I need a replacement notebook
badly, but poking around on the internet, I read some articles where
people were able to get refunds on Windows because the wording in the
Windows EULA allows for such. I'm tempted to try my luck. Any of you
guys versed in contract law or know anybody with such knowledge? Maybe
we can setup an organisation called the "Free From Useless Corporate
Kludge Software" (Free FUCKS) or "Naked Notebooks 'R' Us" that help
people to get similar refunds. Just a thought. Your thoughts?