[Fedora-suds-list] Nooga, and there had met a Confederate soldier w

Holler Gregerson validating at koiboys.nl
Tue Sep 1 10:24:22 UTC 2009

Ard found--and bade me enter. My reflections could not have been more
gloomy if the celebrated inscription, _Dante_, placed over the gates of
hell, had been written above the massive iron door. "All hope abandon,
ye who enter here." My feelings were terrible when the jailor turned the
key in the lock, secured the heavy iron bar that crossed the door, and
left me. Never before had I been locked up as a prisoner, and now it was
no trivial matter--a few days or weeks. There was absolutely no hope
ahead. I was there as a criminal, and too well did I realize the
character of the Southern people, to believe that they would be
fastidious about proof. Life is held too cheap in that country to cause
them a long delay in its disposal. In that hour, my most distressing
thought was of my friends at home, and particularly of my
mother--thinking what would be their sorrow when they heard of my
ignominious fate--if indeed they ever heard, for I had given an assumed
name. That all my young hopes and ambitions, my fond dreams of being
useful, should perish, as I then had no doubt they would, on a Southern
scaffold, seemed unbearable in the extreme. But only one moment did
these thoughts sweep over me; the next they were rejected as not
calculated to profit in the least. My first action was to borrow from my
Union companion his blankets, of which he had a plentiful