[Freeipa-devel] updates and deletes

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 13:42:12 UTC 2007

We need to come to some decision on how we're going to handle updates
and deletes (or really inactivations).

The LDAP API for updates is a list of tuples in the form
(mod_op,mod_type,mod_vals), where mod_op is the operation (one of
MOD_ADD, MOD_DELETE, or MOD_REPLACE), mod_type is a string indicating
the attribute type name, and mod_vals is either a string value or a list
of string values to add, delete or replace respectively. With deletes id
mod_vals is None then all attributes are deleted (probably something to
test for and reject, I doubt we'd ever want this).

We don't have to strictly follow this model, just laying out one
possibility. We can also have 3 functions: add_attr, update_attr and
del_attr. That might be simpler at the expense of verbosity
(particularly over XML-RPC).

For deletes/inactivations I need to know what attribute(s) to set/unset.

rob