[Freeipa-devel] Help installing freeipa client?

David O'Brien david.obrien at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 08:02:31 UTC 2007

All of the following applies to 32 bit F7, each machine running in a VM.

I installed freeipa-server ok, I can add users, etc. I used the --bind
switch to create a local dns server for testing purposes.

In another vm, I installed the client, but when I ran the config script,
I ran into the following:

1. it couldn't determine the DNS domain, so I added it manually
2. Failed to find the IPA server name, so I added that manually
3. The script returned Ldap Error: {'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server"}
Failed to verify that <serverName> is and IPA Server, aborting.

Additional info:
Client machine:
- $ hostname returns a fqdn
- ping fqdn returns the "public" ip (not 127.0.0.1)
- I can ping the IPA server by name and get the "public" ip
- I added the IPA server ip to /etc/resolv.conf

Server machine:
- $ hostname returns a fqdn
- ping fqdn returns the "public" ip (not 127.0.0.1)
- ping the client by name returns "unknown host"
- ping the client by ip is ok

I notice that there is resolv.conf and resolve.conf on the server. The
latter contains only info related to this configuration.

Can anyone help get me going with this? Is there more DNS config that I
need to do is more likely just a network issue?

thanks
--
/david