[Freeipa-devel] Help installing freeipa client?

Karl MacMillan kmacmill at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 14:06:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 18:02 +1000, David O'Brien wrote:
> All of the following applies to 32 bit F7, each machine running in a VM.
>
> I installed freeipa-server ok, I can add users, etc. I used the --bind
> switch to create a local dns server for testing purposes.
>
> In another vm, I installed the client, but when I ran the config script,
> I ran into the following:
>
> 1. it couldn't determine the DNS domain, so I added it manually
> 2. Failed to find the IPA server name, so I added that manually
> 3. The script returned Ldap Error: {'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server"}
> Failed to verify that <serverName> is and IPA Server, aborting.
>
> Additional info:
> Client machine:
> - $ hostname returns a fqdn
> - ping fqdn returns the "public" ip (not 127.0.0.1)
> - I can ping the IPA server by name and get the "public" ip
> - I added the IPA server ip to /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Server machine:
> - $ hostname returns a fqdn
> - ping fqdn returns the "public" ip (not 127.0.0.1)
> - ping the client by name returns "unknown host"
> - ping the client by ip is ok

Did you allow the correct ports?

> I notice that there is resolv.conf and resolve.conf on the server. The
> latter contains only info related to this configuration.

So what is in resolv.conf? There should only be one (resolv.conf) and it
should only have the ipa server. That might be the problem.

Also - last I used the bind setup there was no reverse resolution.
Without that I don't think things will work correctly. Also, did you add
the client to dns?

Karl