[Freeipa-devel] IPA Group IDs

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon May 12 21:08:14 UTC 2008

christopher.e.hailey at accenture.com wrote:
> I am working on integrating freeIPA with an existing system which currently uses group
> IDs starting at 1000 - when you do a ipa-server-install groups 1001-1003 are assigned to
> IPA groups which collides with my current configuration.  Is there a way to specify which
> groups IPA serves?   I can modify my system to work around this, but it seems that in the
> long run there should be a way to do this.

Chris, at the moment these values are hardcoded into the initialization
ldif files. Although nothing on the filesystem actually uses these IDs
afterinstallation, so it is possible to modify these values using
ipa-moduser/ipa-modgroup as the first thing right after the installation.
I guess we might try to use < 1000 values by default, and in the long
run we might provide some way to define values in some sort of kickstart
like file. But at the moment we are not.