[Freeipa-devel] DNS and replication

Martin Nagy mnagy at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 20:24:39 UTC 2008

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to design the DNS would be able to write to the DS storage.
> What is the impact of the DNS updates to the replication? How
> frequent are these updates?

That depends on where IPA is deployed, but generally, there should be a
lot less writing than reading.

> If we in future move to the read only replicas how would DNS updates
> be affected?
> Should we think about this situation now and at least assess how we
> are going to configure DNS in case of the RO replica?

AFAIK, this should not be a concern for us. If you try to write to a RO
replica, it should redirect you to a master. This should be made
transparently. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this :)

> Will we have clients to update only DNS on masters or we will use
> forwarding but them if the volume is high would there be a
> performance issue.

Clients themselves will use GSS-TSIG and talk to the DNS server. The
DNS server itself will talk to LDAP.

Martin