[Freeipa-devel] "Commit comments log" functionality in IPA

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 15:49:11 UTC 2008

I agree capturing this information is useful however I also agree with
Simo's comments in his follow-up.

We do have to make sure the comment capture is friendly for admins. DS
is the wrong place to store this information for all the reasons Simo
pointed out. A relational database might make more sense as a repository
but that is extremely heavy weight just for this problem, we really
don't want to be installing and maintaining a database just for this
purpose.

I think Simo's idea of logging the comments to a log file is the right
idea. It's simple, easy to manage, could be served up by a simple CGI
script via the Web UI and can be a candidate for auditing by the IPA
Audit component which would allow for subsequent indexing and search.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>