[Freeipa-devel] "Commit comments log" functionality in IPA

Christian Horn chorn at fluxcoil.net
Thu Nov 6 20:14:39 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 01:39:10AM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 19:14 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> >
> > One of the ideas that we are exploring for IPA v2 is to have sort of
> > “commit comment” feature. The examples of the use cases are:

Really good idea from ipa-user perspective, mainly for
- making relations to troubleticket-system entries
- making other admins aware on why something happened

> I am not sure a mandatory comment on most operations would be welcome, I
> think most Admins would just hate such a feature, as it would get in the
> way of their job, this unless, perhaps, it pops up only once per "macro"
> operation.
> If it is not mandatory admins will simply skip it.

One could use policys that say what can/has to be commented.

Apart from knowledge that ldap-db are optimized for 95% reading oper-
ations etc. i vote for storage directly in the DS.

Cant help but thinking of subversion/cvs where that feature is of
undisputed importance.

I dont see a need for transactions yet that include several operations
on the whole DS yet.
One comment on was on commenting several operations grouped in one
logical operation, one could comment this with the first operation,
then get a link to that stored comment back from DS (i.e. a DN of the
comment) and use that as comment for the other operations.

A bit offtopic: really nice to see something like this
getting created, good work :)

Christian