[Freeipa-devel] "Commit comments log" functionality in IPA

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 14:23:38 UTC 2008

Sumit Bose wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here are my 0.02$
>
> - - for the policies it would be possible to have the commit comments
> inside the XML file, like

Why do we need the comments inside the policy itself? Comments inside
the policy do not male much sense to me.
The policies are sent to the clients. So comments would be extraneous
information that will be sent to clients for no value.
It will also cause more replication since policies a compressed XMLs.
Change to a comment will trigger the update of the whole attribute.
I was thinking to have the comments stored in the object that is a link
to the policy.
I think they belong there as a part of an entry or a child entry (as you
suggested), if put into DS at all.
We also have description attribute of the link so some comments can be
put there.

> - - although I have not made up my mind if I like the idea of storing the
> commit comments in the DS or not, I would suggest to think about storing
> the data not in a multi value attribute of the object, but in child
> objects with an own objectclass. Then you can store who and when and
> what into specific attributes where it would be easy to search or select
> specific data.

Nathan, Rich. Is it a better approach from a pure technical angle?