[Freeipa-devel] automount in LDAP

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 22:46:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 15:18 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 10:10 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> >> And this is what I meant by poor choices now affecting the future :-)
> >>
> >> Right now I'm sort of waving my hand saying 'location will be in the DN
> >> of the automount entry' but I don't yet say where I'm storing location
> >> other than in the DN. This will require the UI to fetch all the
> >> automount entries and sift thru the names to determine the list of
> >> locations to present to a user.
> >
> > Is it necessary to store it in the DN ?
> > Why can't we add it into the entry instead ?
>
> Because all shares are rooted in the same place, auto_master. So we need
> a separate auto_master for each location. Our UI would be clever enough
> to look at another attribute but the autofs code isn't.

Ok in this case I would just name these configurations with admin chosen
names, and not refer to them as locations, with cn=default being the
default.
Let's just provide a way to name their configuration so that if admins
need more than one for different set of clients they can easily do it,
but let's not call this name a "location", as it can be anything the
admin want's to call it.
We can add the concept of location later on as attributes.