[Freeipa-devel] automount in LDAP

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 23:08:40 UTC 2008

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 15:18 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> Is it necessary to store it in the DN ?
>>> Why can't we add it into the entry instead ?
>> Because all shares are rooted in the same place, auto_master. So we need
>> a separate auto_master for each location. Our UI would be clever enough
>> to look at another attribute but the autofs code isn't.
>
> Ok in this case I would just name these configurations with admin chosen
> names, and not refer to them as locations, with cn=default being the
> default.
> Let's just provide a way to name their configuration so that if admins
> need more than one for different set of clients they can easily do it,
> but let's not call this name a "location", as it can be anything the
> admin want's to call it.
> We can add the concept of location later on as attributes.
>
> Simo.

Ok, for clarification, this is why I'm proposing having the
location/name/whatever in the DN.

You have to supply a base search DN in the autofs config file, on Linux
anyway.

So if we cleverly supply this baseDN it is easy to support multiple
configurations.

autofs searches for its base configuration like this:

SRCH base="dc=example,dc=com" scope=2
filter="(&(objectClass=automountMap)(automountMapName=auto.master))"
attrs="automountMapName"

So if we can set that base to something where a unique auto.master will
be found we can control what is in that master. It seems like that is
the only thing that truly needs to be unique.

rob