[Freeipa-devel] using with samba

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 21:49:56 UTC 2008

William,

I think the main challenge on this route is overcoming schema
differences. This is probably the main issue - mapping attributes in
Samba 4 and IPA's back end DS.
Other problems include that fact that IPA uses MIT kerberos and Fedora
DS while Samba is based on Heimdal and OpenLDAP. If you plan to use one
and the same back end this would have to be sorted out first. If you
plan to use some kind of synchronization between Samba back end and
IPA's DS you would need to solve at least mapping problem and then the
synchronization itself which is usually a big task. May be using some
kind of the virtual directory solution like Penrose for mapping of two
structures to each other would be a good starting point.

Thank you
Dmitri