[Freeipa-devel] Some thoughts about renaming SSSD

David O'Brien davido at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 14:02:02 UTC 2009

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the last week I was thinking a lot about the alternative name of
> the SSSD.
> It came to me that the SSSD is actually an Client Side Identity
> Services Framework.
> Well, sounds like CSI: SF for me :-)
> We can drop SF. Leaving just CSI.
>
> Other idea was ISF - Identity Services Framework.
> Other idea was ISI - Identity Services Infrastructure.
> We can also go with ISP - Identity Services Platform
> Or actually to APIS - Agent Platform Identity Services.
> And a slogan:
> "APIS is a piece of functionality that brings you a peace of mind!"
>
> Just some thoughts...

Suggestions:
1. Something that rolls off the tongue easily (ISF does for me, not so
much ISI)
2. Avoid something that's already used (ISP)
3. Easily-pronounceable acronyms are usually well-received, but I have
to admit I don't grok APIS's expansion :(

If you drop the SF and go with CSI, you get Client Side Identity, which
doesn't really add up.

It's too late for me to come up with any alternatives (midnight), so I
guess this is only 1c worth...

/dob

--

David O'Brien
IPA Content Author

"We couldn't care less about comfort. We make you feel good."
Federico Minoli CEO Ducati Motor S.p.A.