[Freeipa-devel] Making the LDAP backend switch finally happen.

Pavel Zuna pzuna at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 13:27:50 UTC 2009

Dear freeipa-devel,
I know I said the LDAP backend switch is going to happen a week ago, but it
turned out to be a very bad estimate. I didn't take into account the new base
classes I was working on in parallel with porting plugins and also found out
there are about 20 outstanding patches that still need acking (which is
completely my fault for not keeping track of them).

I went through all the outstanding patches, re-based my tree and made them all
apply. Here's a list:

0001 Fix bug in Encoder where tuples were encoded into lists. Fix Encoder and
Command.args_options_2_entry unit tests.
0002 Fix bug in ldap2.normalize_dn.
0003 Add service plugin port to new LDAP backend.
0004 Add host plugin port to new LDAP backend.
0005 Fix bug in host plugins, where host*-mod on 'localityname' attribute were
creating new values instead of modifying them.
0006 Modify PluginProxy to use __public__ defined in derived classes instead of
base classes.
0007 Add 'parent_key' kwarg in Param class.
0008 Make get_dn parameter list more generic. Fix Attribute name regex.
0009 Generate crud.Search arguments with get_args.
0010 Fix bugs in ldap2.
0011 Add new set of base classes for plugins using LDAP.
0012 Add ACI plugin port to new LDAP backend.
0013 Add automount plugin port to new LDAP backend.
0014 Add passwd plugin port to new LDAP backend.
0015 Add GeneralisedTime parameter type.
0016 Add HBAC plugin port to new LDAP backend.

I (re-)posted all of them just before this e-mail.

What's next after we get these patches into the tree?

- remove all patches using the old backend
- rename plugins2 to plugins
- rename -create/-delete commands to -add/-del
* complete switch for plugins, this should be pretty straight forward

- I suggest we remove the old crud base classes (Add, Get, Mod, Del, Find)

- the old backend is used in install scripts, I didn't get to change them yet,
but I'm getting to it now

- remove the old backend
- rename ldap2 to ldap
* complete switch, no traces of old backend left

Pavel