[Freeipa-devel] why doesn't ipapython.ipautil.run() log what it's running?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 18:34:44 UTC 2009

On 10/13/2009 02:25 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> John Dennis wrote:
>> Is there a reason why the run command (ipapython.ipautil.run()) does
>> not log what command it's running? It logs the stdout and stderr
>> output of the command (but without indicating what the log output is,
>> so a lot of time it just shows up as a blank line if there was no
>> output). Shouldn't it do something like this:
>>
>> logging.info("args=%s" % " ".join(args))
>> logging.info("stdout=%s" % stdout)
>> logging.info("stderr=%s" % stderr)
>>
>> instead of:
>>
>> logging.info(stdout)
>> logging.info(stderr)
>>
>> Without knowing what was run and what it's arguments were the stdout
>> and stderr messages are almost useless.
>>

> Guess it never came up before. Seems to make sense to be more explicit.

Well, it occurred to me that one reason might be because the command
might contain sensitive information such as passwords. I did notice that
some code will do a logging.debug(args) before calling ipautil.run(),
it's not clear to me why this pattern exists.

Also, for some reason with ipa-server-install *no* debug messages are
appearing even though standard_logging_setup() is being called which
sets the log level to debug. I'm investigating the reason now (perhaps
using the wrong logger instance?)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?