[Freeipa-devel] Proposal to reset master branch

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Aug 5 18:06:50 UTC 2010

On 08/05/2010 12:00 PM, Adam Young wrote:
> On 08/03/2010 01:53 PM, Adam Young wrote:
>> Proposal to reset master branch to last known good commit prior to
>> the merge of the web UI code.
>>
>> Since the push on Friday complicates the source tree unnecessarily,
>> making it difficult to track actual change4s done as well as to
>> reproduce the current state of the tree, I propose the following.
>>

>> The current master branch gets tagged as webui-details on commit
>> 47d4fcdd8178ec4b8403efa4f80eaa009c32d78b
>>

>> We then reset the HEAD of master to commit
>> d4adbc8052faf18fb31e7b1865037aa107067d4b
>>
>> (Add container and initial ACIs for entitlement support)
>>
>> The impact would be minimal:  it would only affect active developers
>> that have pulled from the FreeeIPA git repo since the push happened.
>> Since there has been a reversing commit on top of that, any code that
>> they have should rebase equally well on top of either branch, since
>> the code they expose is identical.
>>

>> Here are the git commands that would be executed on the repository.
>> This would be run on the server where the git repo is hosted in order
>> to have the desired effect, so they would be manipulating local
>> branches, not remote.
>>

>> git  --git-dir=$REPODIR   branch -m master webui-details
>> git --git-dir=$REPODIR   branch master
>> d4adbc8052faf18fb31e7b1865037aa107067d4b

This has been executed.  Please do a git fetch from origin in order to
see the result.

Any local branches that had previously been set up to track
origin/master should now show that they have 200+ commits more than
master.  My suggestion is to rename these branches to old master using
the commands (these assume the old local branch was named master):

git fetch origin
git checkout master
git branch -m oldmaster
git branch --track master origin/master