[Freeipa-devel] Automount Documentation

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 21:20:34 UTC 2011

Adam Young wrote:
> OK, Just looked at what we have on Automount:
>
> http://obriend.fedorapeople.org/freeIPA2.0/Identity_and_Policy_Management_Guide/html-single/#sect-Enterprise_Identity_Management_Guide-Configuring_Automount
>

> It doesn't have any examples of the ipa commands a user would run.

The command help has quite a few examples

ipa help automount

> Here's what I'd like to be able to do:
>
> 1. Create a new locations: pretty easy, ipa automountlocation-add is
> pretty easy to figure out, and a location doesn't really need that much
> in the way of configuring.
>
> 2. Create a new map: Ok, direct or indirect? which is the more common,
> and which is the corner case? I'm guessing that direct is the more
> common, but the docs are not helpful:

It is not a question of common vs uncommon, they are used for different
purposes.

> automountmap-add AUTOMOUNTLOCATION MAP [options]
>
> and no automount specific options are listed, besides description.

There are no options. When you add a map you just specify the name and
the location:

ipa automountlocation-add baltimore
ipa automountmap-add baltimore auto.share
ipa automountkey-add baltimore auto.share --key=man
--info="-ro,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 ipa.example.com:/shared/man"

For a direct map:

ipa automountkey-add baltimore auto.direct --key=/stuff
--info="-ro,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 ipa.example.com:/h/stuff"

> add indirect map is a little more expressive:
>
> --mount=STR Mount point
> --parentmap=STR Name of parent automount map (default: auto.master).
>

> I tried running this command and both of these are required parameters,
> although they are not annotated as such.
>
> Is it true that only an indirect map has a mount point?

Both have mount points, they are just specified differently.

A direct map lists an exact place to mount the map (/usr/local/bin,
/mnt, whatever). An indirect map defines a bucket to drop mounts into.
So it might point to /share and all keys for that are relative to that.
So you define a key ayoung, the map would be /share/ayoung.