[Freeipa-devel] Long overdue review of the UI guide

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 16:01:24 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 10:41 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got some time to review the UI spec.
> I found some minor and major issues. I do not have latest UI in front of
> me so please check that nothing is missing or incorrect based on the
> concerns below.
>
> 1) How many results we display in the facet list (like members of a
> goup)? What if there are many (thousands of group members)? Will we
> display them all? Or we provide a filter? But I do not see a filter for
> the facet lists in the spec so either the spec is wrong or we have a
> problem in UI.

Problem in the UI.  Noticed it late last week myself, when I uploaded a
really large dataset to the server.  For example, since all users go int
othe ipausers (unix) group, that facet one will only show the first 100

I entered a ticket for this.  Needs to get into the spec, too

> 2) Details pages header is the same as any other header not just "lis"
> pages.
Not sop in the latest UI:  You can see it here
http://admiyo.fedorapeople.org/ipa/ui/

> 3) After modal add dialog was used the spec says that the: "After the
> entity is added the modal closes returning to the list page". Does the
> list get refreshed automatically in this case or not? Is filter
> preserved or not?
Filter is preserved, list gets refreshed.

> 4) Action panel description State 2. See notes section. The first bullet
> in notes is confusing. The delete button should be grayed when there is
> no selection while the link should be enabled only if there is a single
> selection. If there are multiple selections the links should be grayed.

Yeah...haven't figured out a good way grey out the button, as we are
currently using the JQuery UI button for that control.

The greying out of links was accomplished a while back.

> 5) Action Panels in state 3. Table includes reference to Kyle by name :-)
Kyle Deserves it.  Kyle Rocks!

> 6) The UI in multiple places in the example of the action panel says
> "Net Groups" but in the text of document it is correct: "Netgroups".
> Please make sure that the correct wording is used in the actual UI, i.e.
> Netgroups - one word.
We are pretty consistantly using New Groups all over the place.  We can
make the change.

> 7) What is the status of the pages: "Hosts I Manage" "Hosts Managing me"
> "Service I Manage"? Are they a part of the UI? Do not remember them.
> Please double check.

Managed By is there, but I think we lost "Hosts Managing Me"  there have
been a lot of problems with the associations, and I would not be
surprised if the LDAP relationship underneath it matches something that
we deceded elsewhere we don't want to show.

Added at ticket

> 8) Do we have the membership in the Netgroups as a facet for
> users,
Check
> groups,
Check
>   host groups,
CHeck
> hosts
check
>   and netgroups.
check
> Please double check that in
> all 5 cases we have the correct facet in UI.

> 9) Do we have a facet "Hosts Managing Me" for the services? Do not
> remember them being there. Please double check.
Yes.  text  is "Managed By"

> 10) Kyle, Ben in the action panel for the cases when we have several sub
> items as in HBAC for example the the ungrouped facet label (indented)
> has the same size and style as other (unindented) section labels. This
> is confusing. I suggest the ungrouped facet label should be of a
> different style. IMO it is confusing now.

> 11) I have not seen anything about DNS or automount in the spec. Is it
> intentional or omission?

Automount should not be there.   DNS would have to be reverese engineered.