[Freeipa-devel] ipa-replica-manage and topology plugin

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 08:29:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-07-25 at 10:13 +0200, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on ticket #4302 and am building a protoptype to verify if
> the current design [1] will work an what is missing.
>
> Now the question comes up, how will this be managed and what happens
> with eg ipa-replica-manage ? If the topology plugin is deployed and
> configured it will control all replication related tasks via
> modifcations of the entries in the shared tree, direct modofications of
> replication agreements will be rejected. This makes several subcommands
> of ipa-replica-manage unusable, like connect/disconnect/... .
> So should the functionality of ipa-replica-manage be changed to use the
> shared tree or should there be a new command like ipa-topology-manage.
>
> I would prefere a new command, so ipa-replica-manage is there if the
> topology plugin is disabled, also there shoul be some new subcommands
> like topology-verify, topology-view ...
>
> Let me know what you think,
I think the current mechanism of *managing* the topology works well,
what I'd like to understand is what will change functionality wise with
this feature...

For some background, I have written the code (but not yet blogged or
well documented) how topologies can be managed and defined in puppet...
You might be interested in:
https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-ipa/commit/b621b1ae2d33ac2f56874fd7948f45829c6047d7
and
https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-ipa/commit/73712d1b051398c4193b081c3f35eddf679896e2

I define the topology shape algorithmic-ally (eg: ring, flat, star,
etc...) and the replica make it happen :)

Cheers,
James