[Freeipa-devel] ipa-replica-manage and topology plugin

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 11:28:51 UTC 2014

On 07/25/2014 10:29 AM, James wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-07-25 at 10:13 +0200, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am working on ticket #4302 and am building a protoptype to verify if
>> the current design [1] will work an what is missing.
>>
>> Now the question comes up, how will this be managed and what happens
>> with eg ipa-replica-manage ? If the topology plugin is deployed and
>> configured it will control all replication related tasks via
>> modifcations of the entries in the shared tree, direct modofications of
>> replication agreements will be rejected. This makes several subcommands
>> of ipa-replica-manage unusable, like connect/disconnect/... .
>> So should the functionality of ipa-replica-manage be changed to use the
>> shared tree or should there be a new command like ipa-topology-manage.
>>
>> I would prefere a new command, so ipa-replica-manage is there if the
>> topology plugin is disabled, also there shoul be some new subcommands
>> like topology-verify, topology-view ...
>>
>> Let me know what you think,
> I think the current mechanism of *managing* the topology works well,
> what I'd like to understand is what will change functionality wise with
> this feature...
the major change is that with this plugin replication information will
be in the shared tree and so everything is available on any server and
can be changed on any server, no creation of individual repl agreements
need to be setup.
what ipa-replica-manage connect does would be achieved, by adding a
segment to the topology tree, this would be replicated and on each
affected endpoint, the plugin would create the agreement

> For some background, I have written the code (but not yet blogged or
> well documented) how topologies can be managed and defined in puppet...
> You might be interested in:
> https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-ipa/commit/b621b1ae2d33ac2f56874fd7948f45829c6047d7
> and
> https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-ipa/commit/73712d1b051398c4193b081c3f35eddf679896e2
>
> I define the topology shape algorithmic-ally (eg: ring, flat, star,
> etc...) and the replica make it happen :)
I will look into this, but after a first quick look it turnes out that
ipa-replica-manage is already used in other applications, not only by
admins on the command line, so probably the changes should be inside
ipa-replica-manage and transparent to other apps.