[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 14:42:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 16:08 +0200, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> >> Accounts/Identity (7):
> >> - Users
> >> - Groups
> >> - Hosts
> >> - Host Groups
> >> - Netgroups
> >> - Services
> >> - Automember
> >>
> >> ^ These are all identity or identity-grouping related
> objects/actions
> >
> > +1
>
> What are the chances that we will add some other identity to manage in
> a future?

I am not foreseeing anything in the core, but we can move Automember
under configuration is we want to.

> >> Directory (6):
> >> - Permissions
> >> - Privileges
> >> - Roles
> >> - Delegation
> >> NOTE: the 4 above can be merged into a single 'Authorization' entry
> >> perhaps
> >
> > May be it should be and "Administration" tab, I do not like the
> > title. I understand where the directory comes from but this is IMo
> > not intuitive for someone who does not know what is under the hood.
> >> - Replication Topology
>

> +1 that they should be together. They configure the "tool" and not
> "data". Current "IPA Server" item name may be more suitable.

Well this is not related to just the one server, but the whole set of
servers. Maybe the plural "IPA Servers" ?

> >> - Views (future)
> >>
> >> ^ Everything that deals with direct LDAP access/view
> >

> > I think views do not belong here. They belong in the same place
> > where the trusts are.

Just a FYI: I do not think views and trust should be in the same place.
Views will also be available for regular IPA server with no trusts, the
2 are not strictly related. Views IMO really belong here with other
directory configuration items.

> >> Network Services (4):
> >> - Automount
> >> - DNS
> >> - CA
> >> - Vault (future)
> - Radius Server Proxies

Isn't this strictly related to OTP ? I would put it in the same place.

> >> ^ All the additional network services or configuration of network
> >> related services
> >
> > +1
> >

> >> Configuration (3):
> >> - Trusts
> >> - ID Ranges
> >> - Realm Domains
> >> - Global
> - OTP Tokens ?
> >>
> >> ^ Anything that does not fit the above categories.
> >
> > +1
> >

> >> Docs:
> >> - whatever :)
> >>

> >> (*) The only doubt I have is about OTP Tokens, it may be worth
> >> taking them off Policies and putting them into a new tab which in
> >> future may also sport a pointer to user certificates management:
> >
> > Yeah, may be for now we put OTP as a top level for now and have
> > tokens and create a RADIUS page to manage radius proxies?
>

> We already have "RADIUS Servers" menu item for Radius s. proxies.
> Martin forgot it in his proposal.
>
> > In future when we add other credentials we can rename it and add
> > smart card related options.
> >

> >> Authentication:
> >> - OTP Tokens
> >> - User Certificates (future)
>

> With "Documentation", "Authentication" would be the 7th top level
> item.
> Ideal number of top level items is about 5-6. Because we have to fit
> into 768px (minimum screen size before it's switched to compact menu).

Why the minimum is 768 ?

Maybe we can drop Documentation from the top level ? Or make it really
small by using a "?" as the menu symbol ?  :)

Maybe we should stop using full names but instead get a set of icons
that represent each item and have the name only as a tooltip ?

This way the first level menu bar sizing would be consistent regardless
of the language.

> This functionality is provided by PatternFly.
>
> Also take into considerations that languages such as Spanish have much
> longer expressions.

Yeah maybe we should just avoid names here and use icons+tooltips/hover
instead.