[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 16:31:54 UTC 2014

On 9.6.2014 16:42, Simo Sorce wrote:

>> objects/actions
>>>
>>> +1
>>
>> What are the chances that we will add some other identity to manage in
>> a future?
>
> I am not foreseeing anything in the core, but we can move Automember
> under configuration is we want to.

>>> May be it should be and "Administration" tab, I do not like the
>>> title. I understand where the directory comes from but this is IMo
>>> not intuitive for someone who does not know what is under the hood.
>>

>> +1 that they should be together. They configure the "tool" and not
>> "data". Current "IPA Server" item name may be more suitable.
>
> Well this is not related to just the one server, but the whole set of
> servers. Maybe the plural "IPA Servers" ?

>>> I think views do not belong here. They belong in the same place
>>> where the trusts are.
>
> Just a FYI: I do not think views and trust should be in the same place.
> Views will also be available for regular IPA server with no trusts, the
> 2 are not strictly related. Views IMO really belong here with other
> directory configuration items.

>> - Radius Server Proxies
>
> Isn't this strictly related to OTP ? I would put it in the same place.

>>> +1

>> - OTP Tokens ?

>>> +1

>>> Yeah, may be for now we put OTP as a top level for now and have
>>> tokens and create a RADIUS page to manage radius proxies?
>>

>> We already have "RADIUS Servers" menu item for Radius s. proxies.
>> Martin forgot it in his proposal.
>>
>>> In future when we add other credentials we can rename it and add
>>> smart card related options.

>> With "Documentation", "Authentication" would be the 7th top level
>> item.
>> Ideal number of top level items is about 5-6. Because we have to fit
>> into 768px (minimum screen size before it's switched to compact menu).
>
> Why the minimum is 768 ?

It's Bootstrap's  minimum width of a small device(tablet). Navbar's
collapse threshold (@grid-float-breakpoint) is set to this value by default.

It's possible to increase it but I don't think it's the best approach -
collapsed menu is harder to use. It can be solved in different manner
but it requires additional work.

> Maybe we can drop Documentation from the top level ? Or make it really
> small by using a "?" as the menu symbol ?  :)

I like this.

> Maybe we should stop using full names but instead get a set of icons
> that represent each item and have the name only as a tooltip ?
>
> This way the first level menu bar sizing would be consistent regardless
> of the language.

It would solve the issue, but we should be consistent with other
projects as well. Also, it would require very good icons. I'm afraid
that it would be harder to use for newcomers. But probably better for
experienced users.

Kyle what's your take?

--
Petr Vobornik