[Freeipa-devel] IPA Python API

Drew Erny derny at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 18:29:40 UTC 2015

Hi, All,

I'm using the IPA Python API to write the Community Portal. Most of the
documentation for using the IPA Python API is targeted a plugin authors,
and this isn't a plugin for (what I think are) good reasons. I'm doing

     # in the main program
     import api from ipalib
     api.bootstrap(context="client")
     api.finalize()
     api.Backend.rpcclient.connect()

     # and then, inside of a separate class
     api.Command.stageuser_add(...)

Which is how doc/examples/python-api.py shows it.

However, calling api.Command.stageuser_add(...) causes
     AttributeError: No context.rpcclient_... in thread 'Thread-1'

I think this is probably related to the fact that I haven't configured
my program to connect to any particular IPA server, because before the
program errors out, it prints:
     ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'stageuser_add' to json server 'None'

If the problem is the lack of a target server, as I suspect, how would I
configure the program to connect to a particular IPA server? If this
isn't caused by that, what could the causes be?