[Freeipa-devel] IPA Python API

Drew Erny derny at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 19:39:25 UTC 2015

On 06/16/2015 02:29 PM, Drew Erny wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I'm using the IPA Python API to write the Community Portal. Most of
> the documentation for using the IPA Python API is targeted a plugin
> authors, and this isn't a plugin for (what I think are) good reasons.
> I'm doing
>
>     # in the main program
>     import api from ipalib
>     api.bootstrap(context="client")
>     api.finalize()
>     api.Backend.rpcclient.connect()
>
>     # and then, inside of a separate class
>     api.Command.stageuser_add(...)
>
> Which is how doc/examples/python-api.py shows it.
>
> However, calling api.Command.stageuser_add(...) causes
>     AttributeError: No context.rpcclient_... in thread 'Thread-1'
>
> I think this is probably related to the fact that I haven't configured
> my program to connect to any particular IPA server, because before the
> program errors out, it prints:
>     ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'stageuser_add' to json server 'None'
>
> If the problem is the lack of a target server, as I suspect, how would
> I configure the program to connect to a particular IPA server? If this
> isn't caused by that, what could the causes be?

I think this may be a bug. Even after doing ipa-client-install and
following exactly the guide outlined in this email
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2012-June/msg00334.html)
I still get the same error. I've poked around in the code around this,
though, and if it is a bug then I might need help because it's WAY deep
in the FreeIPA internals.

Also, forgot to mention, all of the ellipses (...) in the code in the
first email are elided code, not literal ellipses.